Saturday, April 21, 2018

Self-Publishing on a Shoestring Budget


Big news to share today! The first online session of "Self-Publishing on a Shoestring Budget" is about to kick off in a few weeks!



This week-long class is based on my experiences in the romance fiction industry over the past 25 years. Like many of you, I have been writing for many, many years. Since 2006, I have been small-press published, with several titles. But those presses were not doing enough to advance my career. I wrote Norseman's Revenge between 2014 and 2015, and shopped it around to a slew of agents, as well as the few NY publishers that accepted un-agented submissions. While the book did gain some interest, it did not find a home. So I decided it was time to look into self-publishing.

Cost was a HUGE factor in determining how I would tackle this possibility. I poked around, did my research, took copious notes during a remote Smashwords seminar through my local RWA chapter, and asked for help from fellow writers who had already self-published successfully. Armed with this knowledge, I ran full-steam ahead, prepped the book and even created my own cover! I released Norseman's Revenge in late September 2015, and about a month later, it was the #1 Best-Selling Viking Romance at Amazon UK! (I have the screenshots to prove it! lol!)

Spurred by this success, I wrote and published Norseman's Deception, Book 2 in the Norsemen Sagas, and found both books performing very well world-wide. And I did it all for less than $100!

Since then, I have learned still more, and with all of my small-press published titles reverting back to me, I revised and re-released them, bringing my total of self-published titles to ten, and I spent less than $750 overall to do so.

In talking to several other authors over the last few years, I realized that many who decided to take the self-publishing route were spending more than they really needed to. Most everyone these days has the basic skills to do the editing, formatting and cover creation needed, and can utilize those skills with minimal costs.

Starting June 4, join me as I share all the steps involved in preparing your manuscript for self-publishing. More details to enroll can be found here:  https://www.giannasimoneromance.com/events--workshops

No comments:

Post a Comment